sei in: [ Anatomia patologica veterinaria ] Inizio » Museum of Veterinary Pathology and Teratology
Museum of Veterinary Pathology and Teratology
The oldest nucleus of the collection housed in the Museum belonged to the collection of the Comparative Anatomy Laboratory of the Papal University of Bologna, commenced in Napoleonic times under the direction of Germano Azzoguidi (1807-1814) and Gaetano Gandolfi (1814-1819). After the Papal Restoration that followed Gandolfi's sudden death in 1819, the curatorship was passed on to Antonio Alessandrini, who greatly enhanced the collection and earned it international renown. In addition to the section of Comparative Anatomy, Alessandrini also dedicated great attention to that of pathology and teratology, as is demonstrated by the catalogue he published in 1854. The catalogue describes a great number of pathological and teratological items, including both "dry" exhibits and models in clay, plaster and wax reproducing pathological or teratological animals or organs, by the well‑known wax modeller, Cesare Bettini, employed by Bologna University's Anatomy Laboratories.
Following the Unification of Italy in 1863, the normal and pathological anatomy sections of Alessandrini's museum were divided. The former remained property of the chair of Comparative Anatomy of the Faculty of Sciences, whilst the latter was acquired by the chair of Comparative Pathological Anatomy, taken up that very year by Giovan Battista Ercolani. Ercolani immediately set to work on reviewing the entire collection. He donated to the chair of Human Pathological Anatomy held by Cesare Taruffi (the author of an unequalled treatise on Teratology) the exhibits pertaining to that sector and re‑catalogued those of Veterinary interest.
Under Ercolani's direction, which continued to make use of the work of Bettini, the collection grew and continued to do so in the last century under Pietro Gherardini, Luigi Montroni and Paolo Stefano Marcato, that successively held the chair of Veterinary Pathological Anatomy from the thirties until the current day. Following the Faculty's transfer to Ozzano Emilia, the Museum was reorganised in purpose built premises under the curatorship of Sergio Biavati, who also compiled a new catalogue.
The current curator of the Museum is Paolo Stefano Marcato.